Friday, September 10, 2010

Chop Chop Snip Snip- Locks of Love

Before...
After...(omg! I didn't notice until just now but I'm totally wearing the same shirt as in the photo with the baby. I have others, I swear!)

Now go and make yourself useful...(dollar bill is for perspective only, and is in no way reflective of it's suggested retail value)

I kept talking about it and I've finally done it. I got my mane hacked off and it's on it's way to Lock of Love so it can be used to make a hairpiece for a child suffering from long-term medical hair loss. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure.

I feel so much better. Having all that hair was a pain in the tookus. Washing it, brushing it out, drying it. keeping out the tangles. Way too time consuming. That picture above? No product, no blow-drying, it's wash and go. Well, technically it's wash, brush and go but you know what I'm getting at. No fussing.

Someone a while back in either a comment or email, that I can't for the life of me find, had asked me if I dyed my hair and what product I used to make it shiny. So if you're still out there- I have never dyed my hair and I generally don't put any product in it except for hairspray on occasion. I use cheapo store brand Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner. My only "secret" is that I'd been taking pre-natal vitamins (CitraNatal) for a few years. That helps to keep it strong and healthy and once I got pregnant those hormones made it grow like a weed.

If you have long hair and are thinking of making a big change this may be something you'd want to consider doing. They DO take hair that's been dyed or permed just not bleached. The main requirement is that is be at minimum 10 inches and delivered in a ponytail or braid.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great thing you've done. And you look gorgeous :)

Karena said...

One of the most beautiful causes in the world! Your baby is a such a doll!

I have a New Giveaway from the French Basketeer that I think you will love!

Karena
Art by Karena

SpryOnTheWall said...

Awesome! Wow, I'll bet it was getting to be a pain to care for. Maybe I should grow mine back out and do this? My hair grows like crazy, and seems like it grows faster since getting pregnant and giving birth. Great for the hair on the head, sucks for the hair on my legs. ;o)

anita said...

the child getting your gorgeous locks will be so, so happy!!

good to see you blogging again -- baby girl is beautiful; and your haircut looks fab.
xo

MFAMB said...

that is indeed some gorgeous hair...but the new shorter version is just as gorgeous...

Mango Gal said...

That was such an amazing thing you did! And your hair still looks gorgeous ;-)

avant garde design said...

i LOVE that cut you have, making me want to chop mine into a more modern style. mine is also long, about to my elbows right now. you've got me thinking. also, what a sweet thing to do! happy sunday ;)

The Townhouselady said...

Thanks ladies.

Dobby- Do it!!

Avant Garde- Do it!!

Besides, it's just hair, it'll grow back.