Monday, February 14, 2011

Halston's Hideaway

A recent trip to a book sale at the New York Public Library yielded a few gems. One of them being the 1981 book "Living Well" The New York Times book of Home Design and Decoration edited by Carrie Donovan. It contained lots of good eye candy, and a whole bunch of WTF but there was one that made me stop dead in my tracks. 

Now, I need to preface this by saying I have been really sick of all of the regurgitated design that I've been seeing lately. Same image, different blog/zine. All of the images are blurring into one another. 

I'm just not feeling it anymore. 

So when I saw these shots of the interior of Halston's NYC townhouse, it knocked me out. 

Just like everything Halston designed it's so completely timeless, classic and elegant




I want to travel back in time and attend a party here after Halston, Liza Minnelli, Bianca Jagger, Diana Ross, Andy Warhol, Salvador Dali and I stumble back from Studio 54.

7 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Halson had such a hip house. I can just imagine the parties he had with the Studio 54 crowd.

SpryOnTheWall said...

Fabulous!

And yes, I too tire of the same images (*ahem* like when Lonny comes out *ahem*) it gets mind numbing.

anita said...

so chic!
love the simplicity.

Jill said...

Have you seen the March Elle? There's one fashion spread that would be PERFECT for this! One particular plunging neckline black dress with a huge necklace comes to mind.

Topaz said...

If memory serves, this was a Paul Rudolph house. And sometime in the past few years, I've seen pics of how it looks now. Completely different, of course, and worse yet, worse.

Mommy Diarist said...

I can move in and be very happy here.

Mike Cornell said...

The Halston Story is amazing. This town house was spectacular. Also the thought that he would have 5 or 6 limos arrive to take he and his friends to 54. Many in the entourage were his models who he worked with over and over. I think the town house is best but his Olympic Tower office will also blow your mind. Equally slick. He was ahead of his time in many way. The first designer to liscense his name, the first to visit China. Also at the time the single largets collector of Warhol paintings which today would be one of the most valuable art collections in the world.