Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Nom Nom Nom

I spent some time this morning making organic baby food. Anyone whose gone shopping for organic baby food knows that the mark-up on these items is insane. So I decided to go ahead and make my own. It's really quite simple you just steam the veggies and blend them along with some of the steam water.
Then you strain them to get out the fibrous bits like the pea shells. Those get set aside and will go into our compost bin.
Put them into lidded ice-cube trays.
Mine are from Fresh Baby and are BPA and PVC free. After they are frozen you can pop them out and put them in plastic storage bags or whatever container you choose.

Then all you do is take out a cube of this, a cube of that and Voila! You have endless "blends" possibilities. I have a a wonderful book on baby puree recipes by Annabeth Karmel and you can get super creative with them.

After I tackled peas, I moved onto carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
So far sweet potatoes and carrots are a BIG hits!

7 comments:

SpryOnTheWall said...

So much more ambitious than lazy ol' me! LOL! Looks great and sweet potatoes always seem to please - thank goodness! Carrots are loved around here too. Green stuff, not so much, even mixed with other things. I try, but they seem to get more savvy as they get older. Darn.

MFAMB said...

i did that too!! but i did both. bought and made. sometimes you just can't be bothered. know what i mean?

Bathory House said...

That's some mighty day-glow looking fare.

Stephanie said...

I remember making baby food for the first time (and loving the ice cue tray trick) and being amazed at how brilliant the colours were! Thanks for the walk down memory lane:)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I really wish I had done more of that for the dude!

patternsandtexturebyessence said...

This looks very tasty!
Great!!!

Mommy Diarist said...

Wow, I hope I'm this ambitious to make my own baby mush when the time comes.
How about some pics of TownhouseBaby eating? I love when babies have food all over their mouths. Looks like they enjoyed their meal.